Lahore: The Supreme Court on Wednesday gave former
military dictator Gen (r) Pervez Musharraf until today (Thursday) to present himself in a case pertaining to his lifetime disqualification.
While hearing Musharraf’s appeal against his 2013 disqualification by the Peshawar High Court (PHC), a three-member apex court bench, headed by Chief Justice of Pakistan (CJP) Mian Saqib Nisar that a decision on his candidature would be announced in absentia if the former army chief did not show up by 2pm today (Thursday).
T
he top court had last week permitted Musharraf to file no
mination papers for the forthcoming general elections on the condition that he appear in person before the court on June 13 to attend a hearing.
The court had made clear that the fate of MusharrafR
17;s no
mination papers would be subject to the final decision in the present case.
Although MusharrafR
17;s no
mination papers for NA-1 were submitted earlier this week, the former
military ruler did not show up in the court despite t
he top court’s orders that his national identity card (CNIC) and passport be unblocked in order to facilitate his travel.
“The Supreme Court is not bound to Musharraf’s terms,” the CJP remarked after the former’s counsel insisted on blanket guarantees for his security. “We’ve already said that if Musharraf returns, he will be provided with security. We are not bound to also provide a written guarantee in this regard.”
“If he doesn’t return, the scrutiny of his no
mination papers will not be permitted,” Justice Nisar warned. The counsel for Musharraf requested the court to restore the former presidentR
17;s no
mination papers for the 2013 election since the high court verdict on the basis of which they were rejected had been made in absentia.
He said that Musharraf was ready to face an ongoing treason case against him, but he should be provided a guarantee of protection.
“He has Parkinson’s disease, so a medical board will need to be set up,” Musharraf’s lawyer said, to which the chief justice said the court would form a medical board if Musharraf returns in an air ambulance. “What [other] assurance do you want from the Supreme Court: that treason proceedings will not take place against him?” the annoyed CJP asked. “If Pervez Musharraf is a commando, he should show us by returning instead of continuously parroting like a politician that he
will return,” the CJP said.
“Why does Musharraf need protection, what is he so afraid of?” the CJP wondered. “How can a commando be so afraid? Musharraf had said that he evaded death many times but was never afraid,” he remarked. “He didn’t feel afraid when he was taking over this country,” t
he top judge added.
“Musharraf should face the law, nation and the courts,” Justice Nisar asserted. “The court will examine whether to give Musharraf permission to come and go, and whether his name should be placed on the Exit Control List (ECL) or not,” CJP Nisar said. T
he top judge said that the former
military dictator should return and face the cases against him for suspension of the constitution and treason. “The SC did not allow Musharraf to travel abroad,” the CJP said. “The permission was granted by the government, which removed his name from the ECL. T
he top court’s decision in this regard was taken the wrong way,” he said.
Published in Daily Times, June 14th 2018.